There is a train ticket that you can purchase in Munich that gets you around the whole of Bavaria for a really good price (
Bayern ticket). This ticket costs from EUR 22 for 1 person, with a top-up cost of EUR 4 per person (up to a maximum of 5 people).
We boarded board the train from Munich's Hauptbahnhof (Central Train Station) and alighted at the Garmisch-Partenkirchen train station (after 2.5h of travelling time) and went to the ticket counter that is offering rides for the cable car and cogwheel train which I purchased for EUR 45.
 |
| Ticket counter |
 |
| Cogwheel train |
We took the cogwheel train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Eibsee, then rode on the cable car directly to the submit. The view up was breathtaking and thrilling at the same time. Don't say I didn't warn you, but the cable car ride had many ups and downs.
 |
| View from Eibsee |
 |
| Cable car up to the submit |
 |
| Platform at Zugspitze |
In fair weather, Germany’s highest vantage point at nearly 3,000 metres above sea level offers clear views over 400 peaks in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland – including the highest mountains in the eastern Alps. Sadly, the weather wasn't fair that day, as you can see from the pictures.
 |
| Submit |
There's a restaurant at the submit of Zugspitze. We had typical Bavarian food:" Bavarian Roast Pork, and chicken in cream sauce."
 |
| Typical Bavarian food |
We were actually there with the landlord of 5 of my classmates and so we couldn't hang around the area as much as we intended. Though we didn't try skiing, or any snow related activities, there are actually places for you to try near Garmisch.
 |
| Zugspitze communications tower |
We went up to Zugspitze in Autumn and it was already extremely cold up there. So be prepared, its really windy up there. I was really surprised to see crows there too.
 |
| A crow up in the alps |
I would recommend Zugspitze only if you are heading to Munich to stay for quite some time. I assume its less impressive during summer months while during the Autumm/Winter months other activities such as skiiing and sleighing would be possible. However if you are gonna tour Europe for abit, why not go visit the Swiss alps? Though I didn't head to the Swiss alps, I was around in some Swiss town (Rapperswil) and it was really beautiful with swiss alps in the background.
No comments:
Post a Comment